Recipe by Sharon123
You can enjoy a moist, flavorful grilled chicken, complete with succulent juices, even without a spit. Don't truss this bird, because the legs won't cook evenly when pressed up against the body. From the New Basics Cookbook! Spanish inspired.
Top Review by LousyChef
I have never done this before. It turned out great! Didn't have enough tomato paste, so I has to add a little ketchup to round it out. Used a mix of red wine and basalmic vinegar instead of Red Wine Vinegar. Ours took about 1 hour 45 min, but it may have still been a little frozen inside. Thank you so much- the leftovers also made wonderful chicken soup later!
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar (may use part balsamic)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshy ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 whole chicken, well rinsed, patted dry, and untrussed (2 1/'2 to 3 pounds)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare hot coals for grilling.
- Stir all the ingredients, except chicken, together in a bowl until smooth.
- Brush the chicken well with the sauce.
- Grill the chicken over low heat, preferably covered, for about 1 hour and 10 minutes(turn the chicken a quarter turn and brush it with sauce every 15 minutes).
- Let the chicken stand 10 minutes before carving and serving. Enjoy!