Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
You can enjoy a moist, flavorful grilled chicken, complete with succulent juices, even without a spit. Don't truss this bird, because the legs won't cook evenly when pressed up against the body. From the New Basics Cookbook! Spanish inspired.
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar (may use part balsamic)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- freshy ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 whole chicken, well rinsed, patted dry, and untrussed (2 1/'2 to 3 pounds)
- Prepare hot coals for grilling.
- Stir all the ingredients, except chicken, together in a bowl until smooth.
- Brush the chicken well with the sauce.
- Grill the chicken over low heat, preferably covered, for about 1 hour and 10 minutes(turn the chicken a quarter turn and brush it with sauce every 15 minutes).
- Let the chicken stand 10 minutes before carving and serving. Enjoy!
I have never done this before. It turned out great! Didn't have enough tomato paste, so I has to add a little ketchup to round it out. Used a mix of red wine and basalmic vinegar instead of Red Wine Vinegar. Ours took about 1 hour 45 min, but it may have still been a little frozen inside. Thank you so much- the leftovers also made wonderful chicken soup later!
Mine took a bit longer to cook, but other than that is was great! Thanks for sharing!
This was amazing!!!!!!!!I had a little grill still in the box...so I went and bought the stuff needed to grill a chicken, and it turned out amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Me and the DH ate ALL of it!!!!!! I am so dissapointed that it took me this long to try and review the recipe!!!! A pic has been posted as well! Thanks!