Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
Basically ooey-gooey Rice Krispies treats but using puffed wheat. Recipe has been adapted to be much lower in fat (you could probably do the same with Rice Krispies). Everything is done in the microwave. A great, quick dessert to make with the kids. It looks like there are a lot of steps, but that's just because I went into lots of details. Plan for at least 30 minutes of cooling time before serving.
- 1892.72 ml puffed wheat cereal
- 1419.54 ml marshmallows (about 40 large ones)
- 14.79 ml margarine or 14.79 ml butter
- 14.79 ml skim milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- Measure out cereal; set aside.
- Line a 9x9 baking dish with wax paper or with greased plastic wrap. Prepare a second sheet for the top. Grease a wooden spoon.
- In a LARGE* microwavable bowl, melt butter - about 30 seconds.
- Turn the bowl in order to coat sides with melted butter.
- Add milk and vanilla; return to the microwave. Heat until marshmallows are huge and puffed-up (watch that they don't overflow) - about 2 or 3 minutes.
- With your greased spoon, stir until marshmallows are well mixed with butter, milk, and vanilla - there should be no lumps (it looks like marshmallow cream).
- Incorporate puffed wheat, making sure to coat all the cereal.
- Pour into prepared pan; cover with second piece of wax paper. Press FIRMLY into pan.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- With the help of the paper, lift out and place on a cutting board or counter top; remove top layer of paper. Using a sharp, wet knife, cut into squares. If knife starts sticking, just re-wet it.
- Serve, making sure to remove any paper from the bottom.
- Keep refrigerated.
- * If you don't have a large enough microwavable bowl, you can put the puffed wheat into a regular bowl and pour the melted marshmallow over top. You will need a bowl containing at least 2 quarts to prevent marshmallows from spilling over.