Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderful cherry almond ice cream with brownie bits. A family favorite for any summer holiday.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 pints half-and-half
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 (21 ounce) cans cherry pie filling, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 cups brownies, broken into small pieces, chilled
- In a 5-quart ice cream freezer, dissolve sugar in mixture of half and half and whipping cream.
- Add salt, vanilla extract, cherry extract, and almond extract.
- Stir well, then freeze in ice cream freezer.
- Remove dasher. Fold in half of the cherries, then half of the brownies, then almonds, followed by remainder of brownies and cherries.
- Freeze to desired consistency.
- Brownie bits: Prepare your favorite recipe of brownies, cool, then chill in refrigerator. Break brownies into small pieces, about 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch. Measure out 4 cups of bits, and return to refrigerator until ready to add to ice cream.