- 5 lbs hamburger
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 64 fluid ounces hunt's tomato paste
- 64 fluid ounces tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons salt, plus
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown hamburger and onions in very large skillet; drain.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer, or cook on low in a crockpot, for 3½ hours.
- Stir frequently, as it will tend to stick.
- This freezes well.
- Serve with dry minced onions rehydrated in boiling water (in addition to the sauce).