Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
There is nothing like an A&W Chili dog!
Make and share this A & W Chili Dogs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 ounces hot dogs, beef (7 1/2-inch long)
- 1 hot dog roll
- 1 tablespoon white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mild cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 lb ground chuck (A&W Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried onion (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground (heaping)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- In a 2 quart saucepan, brown the ground chuck, breaking into very.
- small pieces. Salt and pepper lightlywhile cooking. Do not drain.
- the fat. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer, uncovered, 30−45.
- minutes until it thickens. Stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool, cover,.
- and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Bring a 2 quart saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Remove the.
- saucepan from the heat, and add the desired number of frankfurters.
- to the water.
- Cover and let sit about 10 minutes. After the franks.
- are done, microwave the desired amount of chili dog sauce until.
- Then microwave each roll 10 seconds, just enough to warm.
- Remove the cooked franks with tongs, and place on the microwaved.
- hot dog roll.
- Add about 3 Tablespoons of your prepared sauce and.
- the chopped onion. Grated cheddar cheese is optional.
This was a good chili dog recipe. I added a bit of ketchup for a twang and don't believe it ruined any of the spice flavors. I slow cooked this with grilled hotdogs in a crockpot...YUMMY! This was very close to what I remember from my days in Ohio & A&W. Thanks for posting!