Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Spices and mixed dried fruit make a great flavor for this roast--it's a family favorite. (Don't confuse the dried fruit bits you buy for baking--look for packages of regular size dried apples, peaches, pears and plums).
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ground black pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) package mixed dried fruit
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions, wedges
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can apple juice
- Trim fat from meat and if need be, cut the meat to fit the cooker (3 1/2 to 4-quart cooker).
- Brown meat on top of stove in a Dutch oven. Brown on all side using the 1 tablespoon of cooking oil. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- Cut up any large pieces of dried fruit; place the fruit in the slow cooker; add the onion wedges. Place the meat on top of the fruit and onion; sprinkle with allspice and pour in the apple juice.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hour.
I have made this twice now and my daughter who is 11 is a very picky eater, she loved it. The truth is she actually asked me about the dish yesterday. She want's me to make it again. She calls it "the fruity meat dish." I prepared it with mash potatoes, like the other person and it's delicious!!!
I prepared this with dried apples, figs, prunes, dates, and apricots. I also cooked it in a dutch oven on top of the stove. It took about 21/2 hours for a 4 pound roast. It was delicious. Very flaverful, the children really loved it and the gravy was wonderful over mashed potatoes.Thank you for this unique way of preparing the same old thing.