Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
And it really is! It is rich and so delicate in texture and flavors that it becomes an elegant dish for a first course or entree.
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs tomatoes, peeled seeded,chopped or 3 lbs canned tomatoes, drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 ounces teleme cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook lasagne noodles in boiling salted water until"al dente", still firm to the bite.
- Drain and keep them in cold water until ready to use.
- Saute ground beef, onion, and garlic in olive oil until meat is no longer pink.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook at a fast simmer until sauce is quite thick (about 30 to 40 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- For Bechamel, melt butter, add flour and cook, stirring with a whisk, for one minute.
- Slowly add milk and chicken broth and bring to a boil, still using the whisk.
- Taste and add chicken bouillon cube if needed.
- Add salt.
- For Ricotta filling, beat egg in a bowl and add remaining ingredients, stirring well with a fork.
- IN the following order, layer in a lightly greased 13 X 9 inch baking dish; a little meat sauce, half of the noodles, half of the remaining met sauce, 1/2 cup BEchamel, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, half of the mozzarella, teleme, and ricotta filling; the remaining noodles and meat sauce, 1/2 cup Bechamel, 1/2 cup Parmesan, the remaining Mozzarella, teleme, Ricotta filling, the last of the Bechamel and Parmesan cheeses.
- Dot with butter.
- At this point the dish may be covered and refrigerated.
- Bring to room temperature.
- Bake at 400*F, uncovered, for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
- The dish freezes well.
I've had this recipe saved for awhile and just got around to making it last night- delicious! A lot of recipes have either ricotta or bechamel, but not both. It is a great combo. I made my own lasagne noodles with sundried tomatoes, so it wasn't necessary to preboil, and put into 2 casseroles so I could freeze one. Not sure what teleme cheese is- don't think we have it here, so used extra mozarella and marble cheese. Also added mushrooms, peppers etc. to sauce as always. Thanks MarieAlice for some great comfort food:-).