Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Very quick and very delicious.
- 1 medium yams or 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons liquid honey
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Wash potato thoroughly; cut off any dark marks on the skin and cut about a quarter inch into it completely around it lengthwise.
- Microwave for approximately 10 minutes on high or until fork tender.
- Remove to a microwaveable dish, slice it in half through the cut made earlier, score the inside meat.
- Drizzle the honey over the inside, spread 1 teaspoon on each side and spread 1 teaspoon of butter on each side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place back in microwave and cook for 30 seconds.
This is a warning about the cooking time for the yam. It should be TEN minutes, as is written in the recipe. The problem is that the number 10 in the recipe can look like 20 when printed or viewed on the screen because the number 1 (one) has a "serif" and looks similar to the number 2 (two). My mother misread the 10 (ten) minute cooking time as 20 (twenty) minutes. At 15 minutes, they yam exploded into flames in the microwave, destroying the microwave oven. If she were not in the kitchen when this happened, her house could have burned down. MESSAGE TO FOOD.COM: Please update your website to use a "sans serif" font for your numbers so the numbers "one" and "two" do not look similar. Thank you.
I made this recipe on 10/30/13. I've had mashed and boiled potatoes.But never cooked in a microwave,so this intrigued me. But,this was a very nice change of pace way to make sweet potatoes. The recipe was followed as written,but my potato was small and the 10 minutes made it even smaller( NOTE TO SELF: shorten cooking time if using smaller potatoes :) )Thank you for a very good recipe. " Keep Smiling :) "
i followed this exactly and i even put some marshmallows on it like at texas roadhouse! my family loveed it!! The honey was a nice touch to it