Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
In trying to create more healthful nutritious meals for myself with low carbs (and getting my "meat and taters" family in on it) I came up with this. Yes, it has carbs, but there are three vegetables you're also getting with your meat and bread. Throw another non-starchy veggie on the side (like broccoli or green beans) and you've got a complete meal for 6 people.
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups seasoned stuffing mix
- 6 medium chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 2 dashes poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the chicken broth, carrots, onion, and celery to a boil; remove from heat and toss in the stuffing mix. Let sit covered until all the moisture is absorbed and fluff with a fork.
- Place in a prepared 3-quart casserole dish. Bake for 45 minute.
- Mix honey, lemon juice, poultry seasoning, and parsley. Brush on chicken and place 1 lemon slice on each chicken breast.
- Return to the oven and bake about 15-20 minutes longer, or until the chicken is done.
This was outstanding, very tasty. I substituted gluten free red rice bread for the stuffing and it had a very nice, nutty flavor.