Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this A Velveeta-Free Queso Dip recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 serrano peppers, diced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 cups cheese, shredded (can use any combination of Longhorn cheddar and Monterrey Jack)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup, can use canned if tomatoes aren't in season)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- salt, to taste
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat, and then cook the onions and peppers for about five minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Whisk the flour into the butter, vegetable mix and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add the milk to the pot, and cook on medium, whisking constantly until sauce is thick, about five minutes. Stir in the cilantro and tomatoes.
- Turn heat down to low, and a 1/4-cup at a time, slowly add the shredded cheese stirring into the white sauce until completely melted. Repeat.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Add salt to taste.
- Notes: You can vary which chiles you use to control how hot you want the queso to be. Also, if the sauce is too thick, feel free to add a bit more milk a tablespoon at a time. The key, however, to a smooth sauce is adding the cheese very slowly and not adding any more cheese until the previous addition is completely integrated into the sauce.