Recipe by Enjolinfam
I love mashed potatoes, but I've never tried them quite like this! I found this recipe at potatopatchrecipes.com and added it for Zaar World Tour 6.
- 3⁄4 cup butter (at room temperature) or 3⁄4 cup margarine, plus extra for the dish (at room temperature)
- 7 cups vegetarian chicken broth, I use McKays Chicken Seasoning mixed with water
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 9×13 inch glass baking dish.
- Combine the broth, potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, garlic, and bay leaf in a 4 quart soup pot, and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover partially, and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well. Remove the bay leaf.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and add 1/2 cup of the butter or margarine. Using an electric mixer, beat the vegetables until mashed but still chunky.
- Season with salt, pepper, and thyme and transfer the vegetables to the buttered baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter or margarine in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the onions are tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season the onions with salt and pepper and spread evenly over the mashed vegetables.
- Bake uncovered, until heated through and the top begins to crisp, about 25 minutes.