Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
I love mashed potatoes, but I've never tried them quite like this! I found this recipe at potatopatchrecipes.com and added it for Zaar World Tour 6.
- 3⁄4 cup butter (at room temperature) or 3⁄4 cup margarine, plus extra for the dish (at room temperature)
- 7 cups vegetarian chicken broth, I use McKays Chicken Seasoning mixed with water
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 9×13 inch glass baking dish.
- Combine the broth, potatoes, rutabagas, parsnips, garlic, and bay leaf in a 4 quart soup pot, and bring the broth to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover partially, and simmer until the vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes. Drain well. Remove the bay leaf.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and add 1/2 cup of the butter or margarine. Using an electric mixer, beat the vegetables until mashed but still chunky.
- Season with salt, pepper, and thyme and transfer the vegetables to the buttered baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter or margarine in a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the onions are tender and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Season the onions with salt and pepper and spread evenly over the mashed vegetables.
- Bake uncovered, until heated through and the top begins to crisp, about 25 minutes.
Yummy! The onions are the perfect topping for this. We had it as a side for smoked sausage and it complimented the saltiness of the meat wonderfully.
This gives mashed potatoes a run for the money. The sweet and creamy taste was a welcome side dish to our favorite sausage and green beans. However this dish does not stand on its own, we felt it needed something salty to better bring out the flavor. With my picky three girls, this dish earned an easy 8 out of 10 stars! We will do this dish again, maybe for a potluck next time.
Fantastic side dish! Very creamy and flavorful. The onions are a very nice touch. Made for the Voracious Vagabonds ZWT 6