Recipe by foodchef2
I got this from my relative a few years ago and now everyone loves it!
Top Review by DiabeticMom
This is a delicious bread! I expected a same old same old, but it was tasty and easy. I wish that I hadn't made the three strands so thin and long, the finished pieces weren't very big. I didn't glaze it either, but the crust was almost flaky! Thank you so much!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon milk, for glazing
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the yeast, honey, milk, and butter, stir, and leave for 15 mintues to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture and egg. With a wooden spoon, stir from the center, incorporating flour with each turn, to obtain a rough dough.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a clean bowl, cover, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a baking sheet. Punch down the dough and divide into three equal pieces. Roll to shape each piece into a long thin strip.
- Begin braiding from the center strip, tucking in the ends. Cover loosely and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F. Place the bread in a cool place while oven heaats. Brush with the glaze and bake until golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Set on a rack to cool completely.