Recipe by Tropical Texan
The quintessential Texan feel-good comfort casserole. From a friend who used to own a well-known catering business in Humble, Texas. This is the best! You can make this LOW-CARB by substituting R.W. Garcia Low-Carb Tortilla Chips (or other kind) for the Tostitos.
Top Review by golfergirlj
VERY EASY to make! Used only 3 breasts (all I had) and it was perfect, subbed 1/2 & 1/2 for cream and added a can of chopped green chilies that needed to be used up. I also used the whole bag of chips, rather than half of it. Forgot to grease the casserole dish and it still was just fine. I found that it baked in much less time- more like 40 minutes tops. This is so yummy and super quick to throw together. Takes even less time than stated...which is rare! Thanks for posting.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup medium heat salsa (I use Pace)
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk or 5 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
- 1 (5 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 1 (12 ounce) bagtostitos gold yellow corn chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Take 1/2 the bag of chips and layer them on the bottom of a greased 13" x 9" x 2" casserole dish. Then place shredded chicken atop the layer of chips. Layer half of the cheese on top of the chicken.
- In a separate bowl, prepare sauce. Combine salsa, sour cream, cream of chicken, evaporated milk (or heavy cream), and olives and mix well. Pour over casserole, then add the remaining cheese on top. Cook for 1 hour, or until the top is brown and bubbly. Check it when there is about 15 minutes left--you may want to cover with foil for remainder of cook time.