Recipe by Theresa P
I got this recipe from our local newspaper. It sounds like it would be a great dessert for holiday entertaining. Not a lot of work to this recipe and I think it would be an elegant and easy dessert for a dinner party too. How can anything with cream cheese be BAD! I have not made this recipe, but am going to try it soon. Cook time includes chill time.
Top Review by ~cbw~
Very good and easy to put together. I couldn't find ladyfingers in my area, so I made my own (recipe #81896). I kept it non-alcoholic and it seemed a little runny even though I didn't even use the whole batch of coffee called for, so, I'll probably use even less next time (closer to 1/2 cup). Thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules (see note)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 (4 ounce) packages instant devil's food pudding
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 24 ladyfingers (two 3 ounce pkgs)
- 3⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 ounces non-dairy whipped topping
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cocoa powder (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE:If serving adults only, can substitute 1/2 cup coffee liquor such as Kahlua for 1/2 cup coffee and water mixture.
- Pour coffee granules into a glass measure with water.
- Microwave,uncovered on high 1 minute.
- Let stand in microwave while proceeding with the recipe.
- Place milk, pudding and cream cheese in bowl of electric mixer and mix on med.
- speed until well blended; set aside.
- Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise.
- Place half of a package cut side up in the bottom of a trifle bowl or a 16 cup capacity glass bowl.
- Drizzle 1/4 of the coffee mixture over ladyfingers.
- Spread 1/4 of pudding mixture over ladyfingers.
- Spread 1/4 of whipped topping over pudding.
- Sprinkle 1/4 mini chocolate chips over whipped topping.
- Repeat layers 3 more times ending with whipped topping.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder evenly over the top.
- Cover and chill for at least 6 hours (or up to 24 hours) to let flavors develop.