- 4 slices bread
- 4 ounces of grated cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a saucepan without allowing it to brown, and add pepper.
- Add the cornflour and beat into a sauce-like consistency.
- Gradually add the milk and continue to cook over a medium heat until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the grated cheese and mix in well.
- Add the chopped onions and cook gently for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the cheese and onion mixture onto the toast and broil until golden brown.