Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a tasty soup and kids seem to love the alphabet pasta. I got the recipe from a a cookbook called Yuletide on Hilton Head.
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning (I used approx. 1 tbsp.)
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups canned beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large soup pot, cook onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add seasoning and cook, while stirring, for one minute.
- Squish the tomatoes through your hands as you add them to the pot.
- Add beef broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add vegetables and alphabet pasta.
- Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat until they are both tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Season soup with pepper and salt and stir in the parsley.
DD is just starting to learn the letters, so we had fun eating and learning. I skipped the beef broth and used Recipe#135453 . I liked the addition of Itallian herbs.Thanks for sharing.
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe other then I used minced dried onions and I forgot to add the garlic. I used one tbl of italian seasoning as suggested. I also used crushed tomatoes and used canned veggies as I am not a fan of frozen veggies. I also didn't add the fresh parsley. I also added a pound of ground beef and didn't use the oil. We all enjoyed this.
I added ground beef and more pasta than called for-my DH just 'has' to have hearty soups. I didn't have any stewed tomatoes so added a can of diced, along with a little sugar, and didn't bother to crush the tomatoes. This started out as a 4*, called out by my eldest DS-he had 4 bowls throughout the day-in the end he changed his review to 7*! Needless to say this was highly approved. Thank You!