Recipe by cowpants13
Make bread with your own combination of flavors! Recipe from "Grace in the Kitchen" cookbook (Grace Episcopal Church, Bainbridge Island, WA) and "Sharing Our Best" (Salvation Army, San Francisco, CA).
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease 2 loaf pans well.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon (if using). Set aside.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Add oil, sugar, and vanilla; cream well.
- Add 2 cups total of A to Z ingredient(s), except as indicated. Beat well.
- A to Z ingredients: * Apples, grated * Applesauce * Apricots (fresh or canned), chopped * Bananas, mashed * Carrots, grated * Cherries, pitted and chopped * Coconut, fresh, grated * Dates, pitted and finely chopped * Eggplant, grated * Figs, finely chopped * Grapes, seedless * Honey (omit sugar) * Lemon juice (use only 1/2 cup) * Marmalade (omit 1 cup sugar) * Mincemeat * Oranges, chopped * Pears, chopped * Peppermint (use only 1/2 cup) * Pineapple, crushed, well drained * Prunes, chopped (use only 1 cup) * Pumpkin, canned * Raisins * Raspberries * Rhubarb, finely chopped * Strawberries, fresh (or frozen, well drained) * Sweet potato, grated * Tapioca, cooked * Tomatoes (use only 1/2 cup sugar) * Yams, cooked, mashed * Yogurt, plain or flavored * Zucchini, grated, well drained.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in nuts (if using).
- Pour into pans. Bake for 1 hour, until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on cooling rack.