Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make bread with your own combination of flavors! Recipe from "Grace in the Kitchen" cookbook (Grace Episcopal Church, Bainbridge Island, WA) and "Sharing Our Best" (Salvation Army, San Francisco, CA).
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease 2 loaf pans well.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon (if using). Set aside.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Add oil, sugar, and vanilla; cream well.
- Add 2 cups total of A to Z ingredient(s), except as indicated. Beat well.
- A to Z ingredients: * Apples, grated * Applesauce * Apricots (fresh or canned), chopped * Bananas, mashed * Carrots, grated * Cherries, pitted and chopped * Coconut, fresh, grated * Dates, pitted and finely chopped * Eggplant, grated * Figs, finely chopped * Grapes, seedless * Honey (omit sugar) * Lemon juice (use only 1/2 cup) * Marmalade (omit 1 cup sugar) * Mincemeat * Oranges, chopped * Pears, chopped * Peppermint (use only 1/2 cup) * Pineapple, crushed, well drained * Prunes, chopped (use only 1 cup) * Pumpkin, canned * Raisins * Raspberries * Rhubarb, finely chopped * Strawberries, fresh (or frozen, well drained) * Sweet potato, grated * Tapioca, cooked * Tomatoes (use only 1/2 cup sugar) * Yams, cooked, mashed * Yogurt, plain or flavored * Zucchini, grated, well drained.
- Stir in sifted dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in nuts (if using).
- Pour into pans. Bake for 1 hour, until skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn out on cooling rack.