Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sharon the Rocket gifted me with Now Serving: FMB Favourites, a cookbook from the Farmers and Merchants Bank. This recipe sounds so refreshing. Adapted slightly to make it less sweet.
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1 lb red grapefruits or 1 lb pink grapefruit
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 1 cup seedless grapes
- 8 ounces canned unsweetened orange juice
- 1 cup sugar
- fresh spearmint (optional)
- Clean, peel and cut all the fruit into bite-size pieces and place in a mixing bowl. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar to the fruit, mix gently and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, make orange syrup. Place the orange juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and add remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Mix well and simmer for about 20 minutes to reduce to half. Mix often and watch closely as it may scorch. When it has reduced to half, remove from heat and cool to the touch before pouring over chilled fruit. Mix well and refrigerate for atleast 2-3 hours before serving.
- Although it does not state in the recipe, a couple of tablespoonfuls of finely-minced fresh spearmint would be brilliant in this!
Wonderful!!! I used 2 huge oranges and 2 grapefruit plus spenda instead of sugar (which I cut down by about half). Delicious with fish! Thanks for sharing!