Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
I made this recently and we loved it. A rich, fragrant, but not overly 'burny' curry. Because we are not great meat eaters, I used half the chicken, the full amount of sauce, and I added a few sauteed shrimps right at the end. If you don't have garam masala, try a curry powder that you like, I do keep roasted garam masala in my pantry. I also let the curry sauce cook for longer than the recipe states, you should never rush a curry if you have the time! I served this over steamed basmati rice. 30 minutes refrigeration time is included in the preparation time. This recipe is taken from The Australian Womans Weekly "New Curries", and the following is how they describe it. "Kenyan cooking is a fusion of East African and Middle Eastern methods known by the name of swahili cooking, a word which identifies the culinary influences of traders arriving by sea from the Arabian peninsula upon the indigenous population. This curry uses the pungency of paprika, coriander and turmeric in the chicken marinade, to complement the green chilli and fenugreek in the curry."
- 40 g fresh ginger, grated
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet, cut into 3 cm pieces
- 600 g brown onions, chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground fenugreek
- 800 g tinned crushed tomatoes
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 2 long green chilies, finely chopped
- 300 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped coriander leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine half the ginger, half the garlic, half the turmeric, half the lemon juice and half the oil in a large bowl with ALL the cumin, garam masala, ground coriander, paprika, chilli flakes and yoghurt.
- Add the chicken, turn to coat in marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to very hot (220C/425F).
- Cook chicken in lightly oiled shallow flameproof baking dish, uncovered, 10 minutes.(With the marinade).
- Heat remaining oil in large saucepan, cook onion, chilli powder, fenugreek, remaining ginger, garlic and turmeric, stirring, until onion softens.
- Add tomatoes (with their juice), cinnamon, green chillies and remaining lemon juice.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream and honey, simmer, uncovered, for one minute.
- Add chicken to curry, simmer about 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat, stir in fresh coriander, serve over basmati rice, garnish with fresh coriander.