Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
More like a potato than a banana, plantains are slightly exotic! Sweet & Savory Plantains Appetizer will wow your friends and guests at your next party. This is 3 separate quick, easy, and exotic ways to prepare either plantaines or bananas. Originally posted on the web by She Knows.
- 2 green plantains
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 plantain (yellow)
- 1⁄2 garlic clove, crushed
- cayenne pepper
- 1.Peel one green plantain and slice into thin rounds. Using a large frying pan, add about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over high heat. Fry the plantain slices until golden (about 2-3 minutes). Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and keep warm.
- 2.Coarsely grate the other green plantain and mix it together with the onion. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in the pan and fry the plantain and onion until golden (about 2-3 minutes). Stir them occasionally. Transfer to the plate with the other plantain.
- 3.Peel the yellow plantain and cut it into small chunks. Sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the pan and fry the yellow plantain and garlic until brown (about 4-5 minutes). Drain, combine all together and sprinkle with salt. Serve warm.