Recipe by ChefDLH
This came from a Slow Cooker Family recipe book and uses lots of things you probably have in the pantry and fridge already.It is prepared hunter style which means it is slowly cooked in a tomato sauce seasoned with onions and herbs. You can serve it over spaghetti or with roasted potatoes. We serve it over spaghetti for a great adult entree. Our kids loved it too and ate it happily. It is so much more than a spaghetti sauce. Not as sweet and oh so good. If you substitute breasts for thighs check on it earlier than outer cooking time as they dry faster. You will enjoy this. Picky eaters will too. Serve it for a leisurely family dinner or a quick weeknight meal. Enjoy ChefDLH.
Top Review by Calee
I used boneless chicken breast cut in large pieces. I used tomato sauce but think that it really needs the spaghetti sauce to give it a bit more flavor. Next time I make this I will omit the celery and add green peppers. Loved the addition of the white wine. Cooked on high for 3 hours. Made for the crock-pot challenge in the cooking photo fourm.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pasta or 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy duty plastic bag, combine the flour, salt, Italian seasoning and pepper. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Place chicken pieces in slow cooker stoneware.
- Add onion, mushrooms, celery, garlic, tomatoes, pasta sauce, wine, bay leaf and parsley to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours or High for 2 1/2 to 4 hours or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Discard bay leaf. Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6-8 servings.