Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fresh melons of all varieties are a a summertime favorite in our home. So many palate-pleasing adjectives come to mind when you think of a perfectly ripened melon: JUICY, SWEET, FRUITY AROMA, COOL, REFRESHING. Melon salads, like this ginger lime melon medley, make a refreshing snack, or a pleasing side dish to a light meal. As long as there are melons in the grocery store, you'll find this tangy-sweet fruit salad in my frig. Enjoy your summer, and all of nature's bounty it has to offer.
- 2 cups casaba honeydew melon
- 2 cups crenshaw melon
- 2 cups watermelon
- 2 cups cantaloupe (Melon Balls or Cubed)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons crystallized ginger (Minced)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- sparkling white wine (optional)
- 1 cup slivered toasted almond (Garnish) (optional)
- fresh mint leaves (Garnish) (optional)
- Begin by making sure your melons are ripe.
- Peel, seed and cube the melons into bite size chunks, or use a melon baller; place in a large bowl.
- Add brown sugar, ginger, lime juice, lime zest; gently toss.
- Cover and chill at least one hour for best flavor.
- To serve: Toss before placing melon in dessert dishes. If desired, fill dishes with very cold sparkling white wine and garnish with mint leaves and toasted almonds.
- Cook's Tip: (1) Choose melons that are free of cuts, dents and bruises. (2) Store uncut melons in a cool place. Cut fruit should be refrigerated.