Found on Apartment Therapy via Melissa Clark's Cook This Now. The test recipe was cut in half. Fire-roasted tomatoes are strongly suggested for this soup recipe. Both stove top and crock pot directions are given.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml unsalted butter, olive oil (we used a combination of olive oil mostly and solid coconut oil) or 59.16 ml coconut oil (we used a combination of olive oil mostly and solid coconut oil)
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4.92 ml sea salt, plus more to taste
- 14.78 ml curry powder
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2.46 ml chili flakes
- 2 (1587.57 g) can whole tomatoes (pref. fire-roasted)
- 1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 396.89 g can coconut milk
- 1Stove top: In a large pot over medium heat melt the butter/oil. Add the onions and salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften - 10 minutes approximately.
- 2Stir in the curry powder, coriander, cumin, and chile flakes, and cook just until the spices are fragrant and toasty - stirring constantly at this point about 30 seconds.
- 3Stir in the tomatoes, the juices from the cans, and broth.
- 4Simmer for fifteen minutes or so, then puree with a hand blender until smooth. If you'd like your soup even a bit thinner or with more of a coconut taste- you can thin it with more broth or more coconut milk. Taste and adjust with more salt if necessary.
- 5Crock Pot: Follow directions #1 and #2 above. After sauteeing the onion and spices, pour that mixture plus the tomatoes and juices and broth into the crock pot. Simmer on HIGH for about 1 1/2 hours then LOW for about 3 hours longer.
- 6About 5 minutes before serving, I poured in about 5 ounces of the coconut milk. Stir and taste. Add more coconut milk for a more pronounced taste, as desired.
- 7Serving suggestions from the Apartment Therapy website: any or all of the following: cooked brown rice, lemon wedges, toasted almond slices, pan-fried paneer, fresh cilantro, parsley, thyme or oregano, a poached egg.
- 8For the test recipe, we added to each serving of soup about 1/4 cup scoop short grain brown rice, a tablespoon or so (dollop) of thick coconut milk, fresh cilantro and lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Simple Tomato Soup Recipe (Very Vegan Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (300 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.6
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 434.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 44.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: