Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found on big oven, posted for ZWT
- peanut oil (for frying)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled
- salt, and freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a heavy saucepan or fryer to 375 degrees. Grate the sweet potatoes into medium-sized bowl, cover them with boiling water, and let them stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain off the water and slowly add the remaining ingredients, stirring to make sure that they are well mixed. You should have a thickish paste that will hold its shape when picked up in a tablespoon. If the mixture is too thick, add a bit of warm water. If it is too thin, add a bit more flour.
- Drop the mixture, a few tablespoons at a time, into the hot oil and cook the fritters for 3 to 5 minutes, or until they float to the surface, turning them once to make sure that they are slightly browned on each side.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.
They tasted pretty good. But the mixture wouldn't hold together. I think next time I would have to leave them in the water longer. I didn't deep fry but only pan fry them.