Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Vegetarian Times. From the south of France, this spicy garlic sauce is traditionally spread on toasted croutons and dipped into Bouillabaisse soup. Use with your favorite soup, or use the sauce as a sandwich spread or dip. This version has no mayonnaise or eggs or red bell pepper. Do not omit the saffron. Preparation time includes 1/2 hour for soaking saffron and 1 hour for chilling.
- Dissolve saffron in 1/2 cup boiling water. Pour water over bread and let stand 30 minutes, or until soft and mushy. Mash with fork, then cool completely.
- Place garlic cloves in bowl of food processor, and process until finely chopped. add tomato paste, lemon juice, and cayenne, and process until smooth.
- Add saffron-soaked bread to food processor and process 1 minute, or until no lumps remain.
- With motor running, add oil in slow, steady stream until mixture is emulsified into a mayonnaise-like sauce. Season with salt, fi desired.
- Chill 1 hour before using, and store in refrigerator up to 1 week.