Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love this recipe because it is simple, quick, and easy to do. Anyone who can defrost food and turn the oven on can make it. It is also as good, if not better, than bread made from scratch!
- 3 loaves frozen white bread dough (Found in the frozen food section of your grocery)
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water
- poppy seeds or sesame seeds
- nonstick cooking spray
- Thaw frozen bread until it can be cut in half (lengthwise) with a sharp knife, but has not started to rise.
- Take the halves and roll them out to about 16 inches in length and about 1 inch in diameter. The length and width are not that important, but they should all be the same length and width.
- Braid 3 of the halves together to make 2 loaves. Tuck the ends under so they will stay together and not burn.
- Place the loaves on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and coated with corn meal. The corn meal is not necessary but addes that homemade look.
- Brush the egg wash on the bread and sprinkle with the poppy or sesame seeds.
- Let rise until double in size (Appr. 45 min.).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place loaves in the center of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bread tapped sounds hollow. Option--at the end of 15 minutes turn the bread around. This insures even browning.
- Remove the bread from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- Note: I make this bread at Christmas time and give them to friends along with homemade cookies and candy.
I tried this after seeing the great photo that was posted of the recipe. I love using frozen bread dough - it's very easy, it tastes delicious and it's economical. This is a great way to make the bread look extra nice. Mine turned such a beautiful golden color! Thanks for a great idea for using bread dough.
No fuss , No mess,- No Problem! I chose this recipe to make for the " ~My Three Chefs~ Cooking Event". I had to make three unreviewed recipes, for three different Chefs, to a theme. I chose "Simple" as my theme, and this is not only "Simple"- it is very good! Thank you! I will be making this again!