Recipe by Loves2Teach
This meatloaf is the ONLY meatloaf that will come into this house. If fact this was the first thing I ever made that my husband liked (he had 3 pieces!!!) After making this- I knew I might have a chance of being able to cook good food!!! The relish is pretty tasty!! You gotta try it! I think that this would freeze well too!
Top Review by moxie
This is really a delicious meatloaf. I love the flavors -- I used pork breakfast sausage because our market didn't carry ground pork -- so I left out the olive oil. I doubled the recipe and made one loaf and about 3 dozen mini loaves in muffin tins. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces chopped garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 ounces chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Tomato Relish: Chop tomatoes, peppers,garlic, and onions into a medium dice.
- Saute over high heat on the stove till the onions start to soften.
- Then add the ketchup.
- Lower heat.
- Reduce to a simmer, cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meatloaf: In a large mixing bowl combine beef, pork, eggs, bread crumbs, garlic and 1 cup cooled tomato relish.
- Finish with olive oil, and then pack into a 9-inch loaf pan and place in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Place on cookie sheet in case of drips.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until the center of the meat loaf reaches 170 degrees.
- Finish the meat loaf with remaining tomato relish and broil at 500 degrees until tomato relish begins to crust.
- Allow meatloaf to cool before slicing.