Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 40 mins
This is the traditional style in which we prepare Sindhi curry. My dad is ADDICTED to this just as he is dedicated to his favourite lentil curry(Toor dal). Even my picky eater bro does full justice to this curry. I stay away from this while watching my weight because of the fat in it. It is a very filling meal when served accompanied with rice and yogurt/a raita of your choice. It is VERY TASTY! This is a family special that smells wonderful while cooking and for which we are famous among family and friends'. We take this at all the potluck parties we go to and it's the first thing to get over! It's sinful, but very good! I will be making this alot in US while on my holiday on dad's special request! Hope you enjoy this as much as we all do!
- 4 -5 large vegetable drumsticks, washed and chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 4 cups ladyfingers, washed,ends trimmed and chopped
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled,washed,cut into cubes and boiled until tender
- 2 cups chopped yams (commonly called 'suran' in Hindi)
- 2 cups chopped flat indian beans (commonly called 'guavar' in Hindi)
- 2 cups white pumpkin, cubed (Indian gourd) (optional)
- 2 medium carrots, washed,peeled and cut into cubes (optional)
- 5 -6 small green chilies, washed,ends trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons red chili powder
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large tomatoes, washed,peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled,washed and finely chopped
- 35 fresh curry leaves, washed and torn (divided)
- 5 teaspoons gram flour
- 2 tablespoons asafetida powder (commonly called as 'hing' in Hindi)
- 24 cups water
- 5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups tamarind pulp, divided
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves, for garnishing
- Boil the potatoes in plenty of water until tender, drain and keep aside.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a pot.
- Add fenugreek (methi) seeds and allow it to crackle.
- Once it stops crackling and turns lightly golden brown, add cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
- Once it stops crackling, add 10-15 fresh curry leaves, green chillies and ginger.
- Mix well and stir-fry until the raw smell of ginger is gone.
- This takes about 5 minutes.
- Then add gramflour and stir-fry it for 20 minutes, mixing it continuously, on low flame, until it is no longer raw taste-wise.
- (Note: Use 5 tsps. heaped of gramflour).
- Add the remaining 10 fresh curry leaves alongwith asafoetida powder.
- Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes on high flame.
- Stir in water, turmeric powder and red chilli powder.
- Add tomatoes, yam and flat Indian beans (guavar).
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower flame, add 4 tsps.
- of salt and mix well.
- Allow the curry to come to a boil twice (two times) again.
- In the meantime, soak the ladyfinger with 1 tsp.
- of salt in 1 cup of tamarind water (see the following steps to know how to make it).
- Bring this to a boil.
- This step is done so as to ensure that the ladyfinger will not break while cooking in the curry.
- (This is a special tip passed on to me from Subru uncle!).
- Add all the chopped vegetables now alongwith the ladyfinger mixture (add the water as well in which you boiled the ladyfinger), mix well and boil for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, soak about 3 inches of tamarind in 1 cup of hot water and squeeze out the pulp from the tamarind as nicely as you can.
- Measure out 1 cup of this pulp.
- This pulp is what I call'tamarind water'.
- Note that the consistency of this tamarind water should be such that it consists more of tamarind and less of water.
- Now add this tamarind water to the curry.
- Boil for 30 minutes.
- Remove from flame, garnish with corriander leaves and serve hot with cooked long-grain Basmati rice and/or low-fat plain yogurt for a complete meal in Asian-Indian curry and veggie food heaven!
- Please note: When we prepare this curry at home (every Friday for lunch this is a staple in my home!), we do not use carrots and white pumpkin, that's why I have mentioned these as optional ingredients.
- You can use them if you wish to.