Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Preparation time includes overnight soaking time of the white lentil.
- 1⁄4 kg white Urad Dal, washed and soaked overnight
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled, washed and finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, washed, ends trimmed and slit
- 1 pinch baking soda
- cooking oil, as required to deep fry
- 500 g yoghurt, whisked
- 2 pinches red chili powder, to garnish
- 2 pinches coriander leaves, to garnish
- 2 pinches black salt, to garnish
- 2 pinches cumin powder, to garnish
- 5 -6 long red chilies, stir-fried, to garnish
- Clean the urad dal the night before you wish to prepare these. Remove stones, dirt, etc. Wash thoroughly and soak in a clean bowl of water overnight.
- Wash the soaked lentil thoroughly in the morning.
- Replenish the water of the white urad dal in the morning.
- Wash well, drain and using a little water, prepare a thick consistency paste of the white lentils in a mixer.
- Transfer this paste to a bowl.
- Add ginger, green chillies, salt to taste and baking soda to this and mix well.
- Shape into vadas and deep fry in hot oil.
- In a bowl, whisk the yoghurt thoroughly.
- Add the deep fried vadas to the whisked yoghurt.
- Garnish with red chilli powder, black salt, cumin powder, slit green chillies, stir-fried long red chillies and the finely chopped corriander leaves.
- Serve cold with some sweet chutney drizzled over the vadas.