Recipe by SarasotaCook
"Before the Meal," is what antipasto means, antipasta simply is the plural for antipasto. However antipasta has become widely used even by Food Network and many chefs. So, whatever you call it, pasto, pasta or pasti ... It is a great easy elegant salad. Most of this salad comes from can or jar items which makes this pretty simple. This is perfect when you want to impress guests with a great salad but don't have time. Cans of artichokes, olives, marinated vegetables, pepperoncini or peppadew peppers; then fresh mozzarella, onion, crisp lettuce and grape tomatoes make this a very hearty salad. And on occasion, I stop at my grocery deli and pick up thick slices of salami, proscuitto, sopresatta, or mortadella to add and make this salad the "main course." Now the best part of this salad is NO dressing. The dressing is from the artichokes and marinated vegetables. And there is no right or wrong for this salad. Add what you like - these are just my favorites. It does cost a bit more but feeds a crowd. Serve a simple fresh tossed pasta on the side and/or a loaf of bread and you have an amazing dinner for company. This is also great for a quick - throw together potluck. If just me, I often take a jar of the marinated vegetables, add them to a bit of romaine lettuce, some of the liquid, throw some rotisserie chicken on top for a quick easy lunch or dinner.
- 4 -6 cups iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 -6 cups romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can marinated artichokes, diced, save the liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) jar marinated vegetables, rough chopped (they usually come that way)
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, thin sliced
- 1 cup black olives (I buy halved to save time)
- 1 cup pepperoncini pepper (peppadew peppers are great as well)
- 1 medium red onion, cut in quarters and thin sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, diced (mozzarella balls will also work)
- 3 -4 teaspoons capers (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- liquid from the artichokes and marinated vegetables
- garlic (optional)
Optional for a Main Dish
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Salad -- There is nothing more to this other than adding all the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Dressing -- mix the oil, liquid from the marinated vegetables, as much as you want. Add a little extra garlic or Italian seasoning if you like. As I said, there is no right or wrong with this salad.
- Season well with pepper and Serve!