Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy lamb chops Italian style. This recipe is layered. First you will have a layer of potatoes and onions. Next you will have 3 layers of tomatoes and crumbs and 2 layers of chops. I use a deep casserole dish.
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 baby potatoes, finely slice
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 12 lamb chops, well trimmed
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (500 g) can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Mix together breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic and parsley. I use my processor, processing the crumbs first.
- Brush bottom of casserole dish with oil. Place all of the potatoes in a layer and then top with all of the onions in a layer. Just cover this with equal parts wine and water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, layer with 1/3 tomatoes and 1/3 crumbs mixture. Layer with 6 chops.
- Layer again with 1/3 tomatoes and 1/3 crumbs. Then a add the rest of the chops.
- Layer with the last of tomatoes and crumbs. Sprinkle with olive oil.
- Bake in oven for 1- 1 1/2 hours until chops are tender.
Delicious! Great to cook something different. Some people have lamb phobia. I think it's greeat once in a while, and this dish crystallizes the treat. I used chicken broth instead of water, as a few others did; seemed to make sense. I also mistakenly chopped the onions fine instead of slicing them fine. Still turned out delicious. I have found many fabulous recipes here. Time to become a paying member I think.
I thought this was great, easily put together ahead of time & tasted great. My hubby wasn't too keen on it but I think that was because I used a cheaper lamb chop. Next time will use loin chops or similar and may even add some sliced carrots along with the potato for an extra vegie serve. A great one pot dish.Thanks!
This was a wonderful meal! Made for the ZWT, I love lamb and as soon as I saw this I wanted to make it. Very flavorful, easy recipe and the aroma was delightful when cooking. I added some extra garlic and instead of water, I used broth. The meat came out nice and tender. Thank you for posting it!