Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Huey's Cooking Adventures. Times are estimated.
Make and share this A Pie in a Spud recipe from Food.com.
- 4 potatoes (large well scrubbed)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 large onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 medium carrot (diced)
- 1⁄2 celery rib (diced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 slice bacon (rindless, diced)
- 400 g minced beef (or lamb 500 grams if not using livers)
- 3 chicken livers (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 -2 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons tomato chutney
- 2 teaspoons cream (a slurp)
- 2 teaspoons butter (a dollop softened)
- 4 -8 tablespoons tasty cheese (cheddar grated)
- Arrange potatoes in a large round of double thickness of kitchen paper towels on the microwave tray and then cook in the microwave for about 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through, turning once after 6 minutes or bake in the oven for about 1 hour at 175°C.
- Remove cut potatoes in half lengthways and set aside to cool a little.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a heavy bottomed pot and gently saute onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bacon until tender.
- Add the mince and livers and cook until colour changes, gently mashing with a wooden spoon as you do so.
- Add the wine, 1 cup tomato puree, stock, seasonings and chutney and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes until thick and fragrant, stirring now and again, adding more tomato puree if needed and then taste for seasoning.
- Scoop out the potato interior, leaving an edge and then mash with the cream, butter and a pinch of salt.
- Place potato shells on a oven tray, skin side down and fill with the mince and top with the mash a generous amount of grated cheese.
- Place in the oven and cook till the top is golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a simple green salad or your favourite green vegies on the side.