Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
From The Wee Bush pub.
- 1⁄2 frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 lb ground sirloin or 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crushed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 fluid ounces reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Pickapeppa Sauce or 1 tablespoon HP steak sauce or 1 tablespoon low-sodium steak sauce
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, rinsed and drained (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 6-inch square.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into twelve ½-inch strips.
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meat, mushrooms, and onion until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mixture with thyme and flour.
- Add the beef broth and steak sauce; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas, if using.
- Spoon the mixture into individual casserole dishes about 5 inches in diameter.
- Arrange two pastry strips in a wide X over each casserole.
- Place a third strip across the center.
- Press the overhangs firmly to the sides of the casseroles to seal.
- Bake until the pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 12 minutes.
- Serve each pie with a pint of ale.