Prep 4 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is such a wonderful way of serving your chocolate truffles at Christmas or New Year - or indeed any special winter festival! I do make my own truffles for this, but you can buy ready-made truffles for ease and speed of course! I love to see my family and friend's faces when I bring the coffee and "chocolates" out with this Truffle Tree! Allow yourself plenty of time to assemble this, the plant pot and the tree "trunk" can be prepared beforehand; once the chocolate truffle tree has been assembled, it will be fine for up to 2 days before you need to serve it, stored in a very cool and dry place - NOT a fridge however. I have made this with a well-known gold wrapped chocolate nut truffle before, as well as the white chocolate and coconut version by the same company! The truffles shown in my photos are local hand-made truffles, but any "firm" high chocolate truffle is fine. I have my own truffle recipe posted on zaar, A Symphony of French Chocolate Truffles which also works very well with this tree! Have fun - and just watch your guest's faces when you bring this out!! NB: You can also make this with marshmallows and other suitable sweets or candy, especially for children.
- 1 kg good quality chocolate truffles or 1 kg marshmallows
For the Tree
- 1 (15 inch) foam balls
- 1 (10 -12 inch) length wood branches
- 15 -20 small white foam balls
- 1 plant pot
- florist's foam
- aluminum foil
- length ribbon
- cocktail stick
- Spray the "trunk" of the tree with a colour of your choice such as gold or silver.
- Spray the plant pot the same colour, allow them to dry for at least 4 hours.
- Cover the foam ball with aluminium foil and wrap securely around, taping if necessary.
- Place some pebbles in the bottom of the plant pot and then push the florist's foam in, on top of the pebbles - wedging it in so that it is firm.
- Stick the "trunk" into the foil-covered ball - firmly - then push the other end of the "trunk" into the florist's foam in the prepared plant pot. Make sure it is firm and does not rock, add some more pebbles.
- Tie a ribbon around the top of the "trunk" at the base of the foil-covered ball - then tie a large bow.
- Take a cocktail stick and push it into your truffle, (or other sweets/candy) then push the other end into the foam ball making sure it is securely positioned.
- Do this for all the chocolate truffles until the "tree" is full.
- Add some white foam packing balls around the top of the plant pot to resemble snow - brush off any loose cocoa and serve with coffee!
- Don't forget to pin your Partridge nearby! My Partridge is a glass bird, that was a gift from JoyfulCook!
If I could give this 10 stars, I would. The instuctions are perfect and make it very easy to put together. The finished product is brilliant! I did an assortment of truffles with a big red and green holiday bow and it is an amazingly festive centerpiece. Be prepared to become a truffle factory because people are inhaling them off the tree. French Tart - Thank you so much for posting this creative design and for your help during the project. Happy Holidays!