Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A rich loaf cake heavily spiced and studded with plump raisins.
- 1⁄4 cup soft butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup cut up moist-pack dried prune
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup golden raisin
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 (3 ounce) packagesoftened cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
Spanish Bar Cake 2
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg; beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, spices, and baking powder and soda.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Turn into greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake@ 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes, then turn onto rack to cool thoroughly.
- Cut into 3 strips.
- Spread cream cheese frosting between layers and on top of cake.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING------------------------
- Beat cream cheese with lemon peel, lemon juice, vanilla, salt until light and fluffy.
- Beat in enough powdered sugar to make spreading consistency about 2 cups.
- Spanish Bar Cake#2--------------.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175degrees C).
- Lightly grease one 13x9 inch cake pan.
- Cook raisins and water for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Stir in the shortening.
- Remove from heat and let mixture cool.
- Combine flour, salt, baking soda,ground cloves, ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground allspice, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the cooled raisin mixture and blend well.
- Stir in the beaten eggs.
- Add the chopped nuts (if desired).
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175degrees C) for 35 minutes.
- Makes 1-9x13 inch cake.
Batter is enough to fill the 8 inch square pan that the recipe calls for. Also fills two 9 inch loaf pans nicely. Turned out dry because the pan Beth used was too large.
It was not quite enough batter to fill a 9X13 pan. It did not as long to bake as listed. It turned out somewhat dry. Overall it has a good taste, but I think I will keep searching.