Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditionally a Greek dish using lamb and a rich white sauce it can be likened to the Italian's lasagne but using eggplant instead of pasta. I've kind of turned the recipe inside out and made a vegetarian version that's also free of dairy. This is extremely nutritious, it's loaded with vegetables and provides a bit of calcium too!
- 1 -2 eggplant, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced green beans
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 large capsicum, diced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced (cup or button)
- 1 bunch spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 (400 g) tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups soymilk (normal cows milk can be used if desired)
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Bake eggplant in a hot oven for 30-45 minutes. (The eggplant can be salted then washed to remove to bitterness prior to baking, if desired).
- Vegetable sauce: Place onion and garlic in a hot fry pan (a little oil can be used if it's sticking) and saute until tender. Add in the beans, capsicum and carrot and stirfry for 2-3 minutes. Add the zucchini and stir fry until vegetables are tender. Slowly add spinach and stir until broken down.
- Stir in the tomatoes, herbs and tomato paste and bring to the boil. Add the mushrooms and stir for 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- White sauce: In a bowl combine the cornflour with a little of the milk to form a smooth paste. Stir in the rest of the milk and combine (this eliminates the risk of lumps).
- Place the mixture on a high heat and bring to the boil, whisking continuously until the sauce thickens. remove from heat and season with nutmeg and pepper. Allow to cool.
- Putting it all together: Place half of the vegetable sauce into the base of a large rectangular baking dish. Cover with half of the eggplant so the sauce is covered completely.
- Top the eggplant with half of the white sauce.
- Add the remainder of the vegetable sauce to form another layer, then cover with the rest of the eggplant.
- Cover the eggplant with the remainder of the white sauce to form the top layer. If you have no problem with dairy or cheese you could lightly cover the white sauce with some grated cheddar or parmesan, if desired.
- Place dish in a moderate oven for 30-40 minutes, or until heated through.
- To serve it can be eaten on its own or accompanied by a tossed garden salad.