Recipe by Elmotoo
I heard a lot about Raspberry Iced Tea during ZWT6. When the dust settled, I went in search. While they all look great, I only have loose tea and Earl Grey bagged to take to work. So I started experimenting (uh oh). I used green tea because I thought that black tea would overpower the delicate raspberries. If anyone makes this with black tea, please leave a comment as to which one & how it turned out! Despite the addition of sugar, this is not a sweet tea. I listed OTHER ADDITIONS because I thought of many other flavors I could add - not necessarily all at once - but haven't gotten around to actually doing it. 'Cooking time' is cooling/steeping time. I hope you enjoy!
- 2 quarts cold water
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup loose green tea leaves
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 limes or 1 lemon, sliced thinly
- 1 vanilla bean, halved & scraped
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon allspice berry
- 1 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 4qt pot, combine water & sugar. This is the time to add a vanilla bean or your whole spice of choice. Bring to a boil.
- Turn off heat & add tea leaves. Cover & let stand to steep & cool an hour or so.
- When somewhat cooled, add fresh raspberries. Continue to let steep/cool a couple more hours.
- Mash raspberries to be sure all juice is extracted. Pour through a fine mesh strainer, pushing on solids to get all the liquid, into a 2qt. pitcher. Add lemon or lime slices, if desired.
- Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.