Recipe by alwaysdusty
Yes, I make a mean matzo ball, thank you. And I shall share my method as the first recipe I will post. The debate over seltzer goes on but no one here at the Zaar has mentioned separating the eggs! I believe this gives these dumplings both fluff and bounce.
- 2 -3 chicken pieces, boiled in about
- 3 quarts water or 3 quarts prepared chicken stock
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 1 slice onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 4 tablespoons schmaltz (the fat that hardens on top of the broth or you may substitute butter, shortening or a combination)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (kosher, of course...)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (white, if you don't want to see it in the final product)
- 1 tablespoon diced cooked carrot (from cooking stock)
Directions See How It's Made
- For homemade stock, I recommend no more than the amount of vegetables listed so as to not overpower the nice chicken. Boil until chicken is done. Remove vegetables, retaining carrot.
- Chill stock (I use tall jars) and skim fat(schmaltz).
- Drop 2 heaping T schmaltz into a quart bowl to which is added the egg yolks, matzo meal, salt and pepper. Mix until consistent.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy and gently fold into matzo meal mixture. Add enough stock to arrive at the desired consistency, something like cornbread batter or thin cream of wheat.
- Chill for at least 20 minutes.
- During this time you can re-heat the stock with how ever much chicken you choose, skinned and cleaned from the bone. To this I add various different brands of bullion cubes and/or granules to taste.
- Once chilled, the matzo ball mixture should be stiff, something like cold mashed potatoes. Gently form balls and drop into hot soup. I use my small ice cream or cookie scoop to make balls about the size of a golf ball. They will expand a bit during cooking.
- Do so for about 20 minutes at a smart simmer, turning once.
- Chop and add the carrot for a little color.
- Finally, stand back while everyone fights over it.