Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a very cute idea for around Halloween. When I first saw the recipe, I thought "YUCK", but then I tried it and it is really good and kids think it is GREAT because it is prepared and served in a pumpkin. 2 hours is the time I baked my 10 to 12 lb pumpkin and it was almost too long.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 lb hamburger meat
- 1 lb sausage
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, drained and chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimentos, drained and chopped
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 10 -12 lbs pumpkin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown and drain beef along with onions and sausage.
- Cook until no longer pink and drain well.
- Cut top off of pumpkin and reserve.
- Clean seeds and strings from pumpkin.
- Clean well.
- Coat pumpkin skin with shortening.
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Spoon ingredients into pumpkin.
- Place top back on pumpkin.
- Wrap foil over the stem.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 2 to 3 hours depending on the size of pumpkin.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE. The pumpkin should not begin to brown.
I loved the flavor of this meal, and the presentation was amazing! I served it last halloween and got raves about the presentation, but I didn't taste it before we left due to time and this was super HOT. Next time I think I will use some Cayenne pepper to substitute the peppers in the recipe! Thanks for sharing.