To my surprise, I just discovered that our favorite broccoli cornbread recipe isn't among the dozens posted on 'zaar. I share it with one warning: It's not a healthy dish to begin with, and this version is more sinful than most. It sure is yummy, though! We particularly enjoy this in the summertime as an accompaniment to a vegetable dinner of turnip greens, black-eyed peas, squash and slices of homegrown tomatoes. Given that menu, the Calorie and Cholesterol Police never even notice. :) The original recipe specifies a 9"x13" baking dish. However, I discovered by accident that it's really best when made in a dish that's 7"x11". If you happen to have that odd size, do use it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter (most recipes only call for 1/2 cup, so I'm sure you could cut it down if that much fat makes you que) or 1 cup margarine (most recipes only call for 1, so I'm sure you could cut it down if that much fat makes you queasy)
- 2 (8 1/2 ounce) packages Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- cheddar cheese, grated, to taste (can use mild, medium, sharp or a combo)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Place stick(s) of butter or margarine in casserole dish; heat in oven just until melted.
- 3Remove dish from oven and carefully tilt so that sides are coated. (Wear protective gloves and be careful!).
- 4In a large mixing bowl, combine cornbread mix, broccoli, onion, ricotta and eggs; stir well to mix.
- 5Add approximately 1/2 cup grated cheese, stirring well again.
- 6Pour mixture into buttered baking dish, using a spatula to distributed evenly; bake for 30 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cheese, to taste; return to oven for 10-15 minutes, until cornbread is done and cheese has melted.
- 8Cut into squares and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Little Different Broccoli Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.2
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.0 g
- Cholesterol 154.7 mg
- Sodium 685.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 11.4 g