Recipe by Lil' Martha Stewart
This is the Coney Island hot dog sauce that you've been waiting for.... Mountaineer style!!!!!! It's got it all!
Top Review by bb028
This is phenomenol. I have bought Tony Packos hot dog sauce for years because of the secret ingedients that I could just not put my finger on. I have tried to duplicate over the years. Your sauce may not be quite the same but the cloves in this really add a nice flavor I made this last night and the whole family is requesting this again for lunch today!
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons texas pete hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes or 1 tablespoon roasted garlic seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared spicy brown mustard
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 hot dogs
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything except weiners and simmer until thick-do not brown meat first. I suggest using a potato masher to mix everything.
- Grind the weiners and add to pot.
- Stir and Cook on low for a few hours to let all the flavors soak into meat. If you want you can place sauce in a crock pot in morning and will be ready that evening. the longer it cooks the better it is!
- Serve over hot dogs on buns and enjoy!