Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Hey check it out--a stuffing that isn't all greasy and is good for you AND it tastes good! This dish is also vegetarian/vegan mmmmm-mm
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups quinoa
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) canof drained black beans
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 cup dried apricot, diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries (and or or cherries)
- 1 lemon
- Boil 4 cups of water, season with bay leaves and salt.
- Add quinoa and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover ad simmer for about 20 minutes, until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, take out bay leaves and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tbsp of oil in a frying pan.
- Sauté squash and zucchini-season with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper (if you have it) until slightly browned.
- Combine veggies and quinoa.
- Drizzle on remaining oil.
- Stir in onions parsley, mint, apricots, and cranberries, then the black beans.
- Grate in lemon peel and squeeze on lemon juice to taste.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Very interesting dish. Fresh and tangy with the lemon, green onions, apricot and cranberry... yet earthy and creamy with the squash, black beans and hearty quinoa. I am not so sure about using the bay leaf again as I did not like that flavor with the fruits and mint. I am not sure that this would be a good stuffing due to the strong flavors. That aside, this is a nice way to use quinoa and makes a tasty protein packed vegetarian entree or side dish for a meaty meal. Thanks!