Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I just had the pleasure of having two guests for lunch all the way from Holland and dedicate this recipe to them - It is a do ahead casserole - just pop it in the oven 30 minutes before serving - Watch you don't leave it longer you don't want it to get too dry. This is a one dish meal, serve with a green salad & crusty roll lovely for lunch or dinner The 1 hour cooking time includes the time to brown & cook the chicken and precook the veggies. Everything in the casserole is precooked so you only have to heat it through before serving.
- 4 1⁄2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pices
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup thin sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced, drained
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I like aged)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 cups cooked pasta, your choice I like fettucini
- Salt & Pepper the chicken cubes and brown in a very lightly oiled skillet, turn heat to low and continue cooking until the chicken is no longer pink, remove from skillet and place in a large bowl.
- Add mushrooms, onions to the skillet cook until the onions are translucent, add to the chicken in the bowl.
- Lightly saute the peppers and carrot slices add to the bowl with the mushrooms & chicken.
- Add frozen peas, celery & waterchestnuts to the bowl.
- Mix the garlic powder, chili flakes to gether and sprinkle into the bowl.
- Add the un diluted soup and gently mix the ingredients.
- Add the pasta slowly incorporating it well with the sauce, chicken & veggies Pour into a 9" x 14" X3" lightly greased casserole dish or line the casserole with non stick foil.
- You may now cover it and hold in the fridge overnight or for a few hours or bake it right away,.
- Add cheese to the top just before putting it into the oven Bake uncovered.
- 375F oven for 30 minutes.
We (A&L) were lucky enough to have this served by the chef itself when we visited her on our vacation in Canada!! A lovely dish which we really enjoyed. It is important to stick to the given cooking time because it could get too dry (so watch the time time you are chatting and sipping champagne!! LOL) Many thanks Bergy from both of us!!