Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have no idea why this burger recipe from New Zealand is called a warrior burger - maybe because you need to have a "fighting" appetite to eat this amazing burger or have an asbestos tongue?! A meal and a half in a bun - and with MORE than a bit of a kick as well! (I should have called this An All Blacks Burger maybe?!)
For the beef patties
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 hamburger buns, halved and toasted
- sliced tomatoes
- sweet cucumber pickle
For the Warrior topping
- 75 ml fresh cream, whipped
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sweet chutney
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional) or 1 dash Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Combine all the patty ingredients and form into 6 patties of equal size with wet hands.
- Make the Warrior topping by combining the whipped cream with the sour cream, stirring in the rest of the ingredients and mixing well. Keep refrigerated until needed.
- Barbecue the patties on an oiled grill for about 5 minutes per side, over a moderate heat.
- Assemble the burgers by stacking on freshly toasted buns, the patties, lettuce, sweet cucumber pickle, sliced tomatoes and a dollop of Warrior topping.
We really enjoyed the mixture of flavours in the patties but not so much the topping. The Worcestershire sauce was a little bit overpowering over the other flavours. Perhaps using less would be good. Also it was a little creamier than we prefer. I added in a Tbsp of dijon mustard to help cut that. Seemed to do the trick nicely. We also prefer a bit of a kick over sweetness in our foods so instead of using a sweet chili sauce, and chutneys, I used a hot ones. Three of us gave it a 3 over all and two gave it a 4. Everyone liked the meat though so rating it a solid 4