Recipe by alvinakatz
A nice pickled cucumber dish to cool you down while eating a spicy meal. Is cooling even though it has some chili in it. You can adjust the amount of chili, or omit it all together, to your liking. From Sheila Lukin's All Around the World Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced seeded fresh red chile
- 1 cup thinly sliced seedless cucumber, halved before slicing
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 cilantro leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vinegar,sugar, and salt in a small pan. Cook, swirling occasionally, on low until sugar disolves, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add chili, and let cool.
- Place cucmbers and shallots in a bowl.
- Add vinegar mixture and stir.
- Just before serving add the chopped cilantro & stir.
- Garnish with whole cilantro leaves.