Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
A nice pickled cucumber dish to cool you down while eating a spicy meal. Is cooling even though it has some chili in it. You can adjust the amount of chili, or omit it all together, to your liking. From Sheila Lukin's All Around the World Cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced seeded fresh red chile
- 1 cup thinly sliced seedless cucumber, halved before slicing
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 cilantro leaves
- Combine vinegar,sugar, and salt in a small pan. Cook, swirling occasionally, on low until sugar disolves, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add chili, and let cool.
- Place cucmbers and shallots in a bowl.
- Add vinegar mixture and stir.
- Just before serving add the chopped cilantro & stir.
- Garnish with whole cilantro leaves.
delicious and easy - great blend of flavors. A perfect side. Thanks!
Easy and so tasty for a quick snack. I cut the recipe back and wished I had made more. Thanks! Made for ZWT 2013 by a member of team Hot Stuff.
good simple spicy zwt9