Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
One egg cooked in toast is a classic American breakfast recipe that's also known as egg in a basket and knothole egg. This puts all breakfast items together and makes for a very filling meal for young and old alike. Midwest Living magazine, April 2008 edition.
- 4 ounces bulk pork sausage or 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup sweet green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices home-style whole wheat bread or 4 slices white bread
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a 12" nonstick skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, sweet peppers, green onions & pinch or two, of crushed red peppers, until meat is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring to break up sausage as it cooks.
- Remove sausage mixture from skillet; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine sausage mixture and cheese & set aside.
- Carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towels; set aside.
- With a 2" round cookie cutter or a small juice glass, cut out the center of each slice of bread.(Use bread centers in another recipe for breadcrumbs).
- Spread both sides of the bread slices with the butter or margarine.
- In same 12" skillet, toast bread on one side over medium heat about 2 minutes,or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; turn the bread slices over.
- Break one of the eggs into a 1-cup glass measuring cup with a handle.
- Holding lip of cup as close to the bread as possible, carefully slide the egg into the hole.
- Repeat this step with the remaining 3 eggs and bread slices.
- Spoon sausage mixture over bread slices; avoiding the egg as much as possible.
- Cooke, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are firm.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully lift out bread-&-egg slices and transfer to 4 dinner plates.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper, if using, to taste.