Recipe by Manami
One egg cooked in toast is a classic American breakfast recipe that's also known as egg in a basket and knothole egg. This puts all breakfast items together and makes for a very filling meal for young and old alike. Midwest Living magazine, April 2008 edition.
Top Review by Thisolddog
Tried these this morning and they were very good. My DW says this recipe is a keeper. I had 2 eggs, my DW had 1. Her comment: "The one egg satisified me without leaving me overstuffed." This will become a 'several times a month' recipe'. Substitutions used: frozen turkey sauage links (thawed and diced them) and canned mushrooms. Omitted the salt and red pepper flakes.
- 4 ounces bulk pork sausage or 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1⁄2 cup sweet green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices home-style whole wheat bread or 4 slices white bread
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 12" nonstick skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, sweet peppers, green onions & pinch or two, of crushed red peppers, until meat is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring to break up sausage as it cooks.
- Remove sausage mixture from skillet; drain.
- In a small bowl, combine sausage mixture and cheese & set aside.
- Carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towels; set aside.
- With a 2" round cookie cutter or a small juice glass, cut out the center of each slice of bread.(Use bread centers in another recipe for breadcrumbs).
- Spread both sides of the bread slices with the butter or margarine.
- In same 12" skillet, toast bread on one side over medium heat about 2 minutes,or until golden brown.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; turn the bread slices over.
- Break one of the eggs into a 1-cup glass measuring cup with a handle.
- Holding lip of cup as close to the bread as possible, carefully slide the egg into the hole.
- Repeat this step with the remaining 3 eggs and bread slices.
- Spoon sausage mixture over bread slices; avoiding the egg as much as possible.
- Cooke, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are firm.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully lift out bread-&-egg slices and transfer to 4 dinner plates.
- Sprinkle eggs with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper, if using, to taste.