One egg cooked in toast is a classic American breakfast recipe that's also known as egg in a basket and knothole egg. This puts all breakfast items together and makes for a very filling meal for young and old alike. Midwest Living magazine, April 2008 edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces bulk pork sausage or 4 ounces turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers or 1/2 cup yellow bell peppers or 1/2 cup sweet green pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 4 slices home-style whole wheat bread or 4 slices white bread
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons margarine, softened
- 4 eggs
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1In a 12" nonstick skillet, cook sausage, mushrooms, sweet peppers, green onions & pinch or two, of crushed red peppers, until meat is brown and vegetables are tender, stirring to break up sausage as it cooks.
- 2Remove sausage mixture from skillet; drain.
- 3In a small bowl, combine sausage mixture and cheese & set aside.
- 4Carefully wipe skillet clean with paper towels; set aside.
- 5With a 2" round cookie cutter or a small juice glass, cut out the center of each slice of bread.(Use bread centers in another recipe for breadcrumbs).
- 6Spread both sides of the bread slices with the butter or margarine.
- 7In same 12" skillet, toast bread on one side over medium heat about 2 minutes,or until golden brown.
- 8Reduce heat to medium-low; turn the bread slices over.
- 9Break one of the eggs into a 1-cup glass measuring cup with a handle.
- 10Holding lip of cup as close to the bread as possible, carefully slide the egg into the hole.
- 11Repeat this step with the remaining 3 eggs and bread slices.
- 12Spoon sausage mixture over bread slices; avoiding the egg as much as possible.
- 13Cooke, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until eggs are firm.
- 14Using a wide spatula, carefully lift out bread-&-egg slices and transfer to 4 dinner plates.
- 15Sprinkle eggs with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper, if using, to taste.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for A Hole-In-One Breakfast a La Midwest Living
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.0
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 237.5 mg
- Sodium 347.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 21.3 g