Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A grape jelly sammich was something my brothers, sister, and I loved when we were growing up. Here is a more posh or pretentious version (whichever word you prefer).
Top Review by Ilysse
This was very good. I used home made white bread, peach preserves, and cream cheese (since the store was out of mascarpone). I buttered the outside and grilled in a sandwich press. This made them nice and crisp on the outside and gooey in the middle. Very good. Even DH liked them and I was worried he wouldn't. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄4 cup fig preserves
- 4 slices challah (may substitute brioche or soft white sandwich bread)
- 1⁄4 lb mascarpone, softened (may substitute softened cream cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves or 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread the fig preserves on each of 2 slices of bread.
- Evenly spread the mascarpone over the preserves.
- Spread the apricot preserves on each of the two remaining slices of bread; top each sandwich with one of these slices, preserve side down.
- Slice on the diagonal and serve.