Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This soup is quick to fix on the stove top and easier yet to fix in the slow cooker! Great flavor and chock full of vegetable. I love the okra, but when I am serving this to non-okra fans, I will substitute 2 c. of frozen peas for the okra during the last 15 minutes of cooking. I am always asked for this recipe and never have leftovers, though this makes 10 servings!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs stew meat, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb frozen green beans
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups okra, sliced (fresh, frozen or canned)
- Dredge meat in flour. In 6 quart Dutch oven, brown meat and garlic in oil. Drain fat.
- Add water, tomatoes, barley, Worcestershire, salt, basil, pepper, and vegetables. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender or pour into a slow cooker and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Makes 4 quarts; 10 servings.